How to Get Your Trucking Authority
Getting your own trucking authority can be pretty complex and intimidating. There are many sources of information online, but it’s hard to know who or what to trust. If you want to be your own boss and get your own trucking authority, we’re here to help each step of the way!
Pro Trucking Service offers a full service authority application package! To get started right away, click here! We will take care of all the complex paperwork and filing associated with getting your own authority. You can focus on the driving, we’ll take care of the rest.
Benefits of having your trucking authority
Running under your own authority provides you with an opportunity to run your own business. It can increase your profitability, give you freedom to choose when to work, and provide independence you can’t get as a company driver or an owner-operator. However, there is a lot of work involved. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- Choose authority type – intrastate, interstate, hazardous materials, common property, common household, etc.
- Decide on a business name and structure – LLC, corporation, sole proprietorship, or partnership
- Get an EIN from IRS
- Apply for authority (DOT and MC Number) – Have we already mentioned that we offer such a service?
- Apply for BOC-3 Process Agent
- Register for UCR
- Get liability and cargo insurance
- Register for IRP
- Apply for an IFTA Account
- Apply for other necessary permits
- Enroll in a drug and alcohol program
- Maintain all driver and safety records
This can all seem daunting at first, and believe us, it is! There is a solution, however! Pro Trucking Service can help you along each step to becoming a business owner. We are experts with decades in the trucking industry. We can help you apply for authority, apply for IFTA and other necessary permits, enroll in a drug and alcohol program, and even help you pass your new entrant audit by the FMCSA!
To get started with your authority, click here or give us a call toll-free at 888-804-6004